Last Updated: April 17, 2008
Reference: Symantec Document ID 2007982458770398
This article contains instructions for manually uninstalling theCLEINTedition of Symantec Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition. For instructions to uninstall the SERVER edition, please see How to Manually Uninstall Symantec Norton AntiVirus Corporate Server Edition 7.5 and 7.6 for Microsoft Windows NT/2000/XP.
How to uninstall Symantec Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.5 and 7.6 client for Microsoft Windows NT/2000/XP manually?
The easiest way to remove Norton AntiVirus client from a Microsoft Windows NT/2000/XP computer is to run the uninstaller program from Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel. If you cannot remove the program this way, then it must be removed from these three places:
Stop the following services before removing items from the registry, Start menu, or the hard drive:
You must have administrator permissions to edit the registry.
In the next steps you will edit the Windows registry. Back up the registry before you make any changes to it, because incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify only the registry keys that are specified.
1. Delete the following key:
2. In the left pane, delete the following keys:
3. Delete the SymEvent key only if Norton AntiVirus is the only Symantec program on the computer.
4. Go to the following key:
5. In the left pane, delete the following keys:
6. Delete the following key:
7. Go to the following key:
8. In the right pane, delete the following values:
9. In the left pane, click My Computer.
10. On the Edit menu, click Find.
11. Search for the following string, and delete any keys or values found:
12. In the left pane, click My Computer.
13. On the Edit menu, click Find.
14. Search for the following string, and delete any keys or values found:
15. Delete the following key:
16. Delete the following value:
17. If no other Symantec products that use virus definitions are installed, delete the following value:
18. Exit the Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
Norton AntiVirus is now disabled, even though traces of it remain in the registry. These traces have little impact on how your computer operates. It is not necessary to remove them.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantecfolder.
C:\Winnt\Profiles\All Users\Application Data\Symantecfolder.
Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefsfolder.