How to Create an ODBC Connection Between UPS WorldShip and a Comma Delimited CSV Data File
Last Updated: July 18, 2009
You have a .CSV (or similiar comma delimited file format) with shipping information (name, address, etc) for orders generated from a third-party applicaiton. You want to create an ODBC connection between UPS WorldShip 2010 (or other compatible versions) software and your comma delimited data file. This will eliminate the need for you to re-key shipping information into UPS WorldShip. Using an ODBC connection, you can auto-populate the shipping fields by simply entering an order number (or any other primary key you've chosen) using the Keyed Import feature of UPS WorldShip.
- Launch UPS WorldShip 2010 software application (or other compatible versions).
- Click Import/Export Data from the menu bar.
- Select Import/Export Wizard from the popup menu.
- Select I need help with importing information into WorldShip and click Next.
- When prompted for the type of data you would be importing, select Small Package Shipments then click Next.
- Enter a name when prompted for the Data Connection Name.
- Click on Browse and locate your comma delimited data file and click Next.
Note: Subsequent updates to this data file will have to be saved at this location. Find a permanent home for your data file if you have not already done so.
- On the field mapping screen, drag the appropriate data fields of your data file into the UPS data form to create your data map.
- Highlight your order number field of your comma delimited file and click on Define Primary Key. This will set the Order Number to be the primary key. This is what you will use to reference a unique 'record' when processing a shipment.
- Give your map a name by typing in the name in the provided text box and click on Save Map.
- You should now see a message indicating the the setup is successfully. Select Exit to WorldShip option and click Finish.
Importing a Record
- To process a shipment for an order, select Import/Export Data option from the menu bar.
- Select Keyed Import and select your map name (which you named from the setup instructions outline above). If this is the first time using this feature, you may not see your connection name listed. If this is the case, select More from the list to browse for your map.
- From the popup dialog window prompting you for the import key, scan or type in your order number and press Enter. The shipping address information will automatically populate on your UPS WorldShip shipping screen.
Updating Your Data File
- To update your data file with recent orders, simply append the data to the file or simply overwrite the file with your new version. Be sure to save your new data file in the same location as your original when ODBC connection was created and with the same filename.