Last Updated February 19, 2008
Reinstall Internet Explorer 6 by using the Ie.inf file:
If you already have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed, and you do not want to install Internet Explorer 7, you may be able to resolve problems with Internet Explorer 6 by using the Ie.inf file to reinstall Internet Explorer 6. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click the Start button > Run.
%systemroot%\infthen press Enter.
- Find the Ie.inf file that is located in Windows\Inf folder.
- Right-click the Ie.inf file, and then click Install.
- Restart the computer when the file copy process is complete.
Sometimes you may want to reinstall Internet Explorer 6 from your XP CD. To do so follow these steps:
- Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer CD drive.
- Click the Start button> Run.
- Type the following:
rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\ie.inf
- Press ENTER.